Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Video Nightmare

At work I use openSUSE, it makes life so much easier to take care of all the Unix Boxes that I am in charge of. But one of my biggest nightmare with opensuse is video drivers. I bought GEForce 7300 card at my last job so that I could use compiz.

Well at work we use Dell Optiplex 745, nice machine. They came with ATI 2400HD cards. At first I tried to use it, but any time I try to set up my dual monitor ( I have two 19" wide monitor), the care would crash. I tried to use this command...

 amdcccle

But no luck, the card, when I tried to set up for dual head would crash my box. So I put in my card that I wasn't using because all my PC at home are still AGP, this Nvidia card is PCI Express.

At first if I tried to use SaX, it wouldn't not let me adjust the screen beyond 1280x1024 and wouldn't even see the dual head settings. So, I searched the net with no answer to help me out. One day while I was looking in System --> Configuration ( I am proud KDE user), I found a program that I haven't seen there before. NVIDIA X Server Settings. At first I wasn't sure if this was going to help me. I used to set up my X to the way I wanted.

It worked. I am running two separate X screen, both at 1680x1050.

Well after a running my box this way at work. I has a hardware crash. X conf got damaged. When I tried to remember how I set it up, I couldn't. So I did a search on the net. By the way, lately Google is not your friend when it come to doing searches. After a couple of day, I reached out to the openSUSE mail list asking if anyone know what the Nvidia command that was like "amdccle", no answer.

Well I can happen say that found again the Nvidia-setting command. I have my X back up the way I had, but for two weeks. I was living the nightmare of only having one screen, plus not being able to get the answer I was needing to fix my issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment